This course is designed to prepare the PreK-3 licensed teacher to successfully teach mathematics and science to students in the fourth and fifth grades. Pedagogy directly linked to the nature and needs of the child in the fourth and fifth grades as related to math and science will be discussed and practiced throughout the course. Attention will be given to the developmental needs of children in the fourth and fifth grades and how to align the study of social studies and language arts to those needs. This course will build on the knowledge that early childhood education teacher already has so that he or she can successfully serve students in the fourth and fifth grades. Best practices for teaching fourth and fifth-grade math and science will be discussed, demonstrated and practiced throughout the course.
- Course develops the teacher candidate’s collaborative skills and effective communication practices in working with families, teachers and other stakeholders of 4th and 5th graders including those with learning disabilities.
- Specific strategies to more effectively develop collaboration with regular classroom teachers and other school and community personnel are explored, as well as opportunities to practice elements of successful and effective team relationships through knowledge and comprehension of the positive aspects of the consultative mod
- Specific strategies to more effectively develop family/professional-working partnerships to effectively work with students at the 4th and 5th-grade levels.
- Opportunities to practice elements of successful and effective team relationship building.
- Students will study issues associated with the Individual Education Plan (IEP) team.
- Students will have multiple opportunities to practice elements of successful and effective team relationship through knowledge and comprehension of the positive aspects of collaboration.
- Students will demonstrate awareness of and means to improve his/her own behavior on a team.
- On successful completion of the course, participants will be able to know, apply, and on occasion, create principles and good practices surrounding 4th/5th-grade environment for collaboration, consultation, and teamwork.